Fulton & Barr Blog

Let Us Win For You

Our friendly staff and legal team will be happy to advise you. Contact us today.

Get A Free Case Review

What To Do After a Hit and Run Accident in Greenville, South Carolina

hit and run car accident in greenville sc If you have ever experienced a car accident, you know it is a stressful, often painful, time. You may worry about the extent of your injuries, the possible property damage, dealing with your insurance company, and more. However, what if the other driver flees the scene? Hit and run accidents introduce other considerations you may not need to consider during a typical accident.

What Is a Hit and Run Accident?

Hit and run accidents involve a driver and another vehicle, a motorcyclist, cyclist, pedestrian, or a fixed object. What begins as a typical collision accident becomes a hit and run accident when the driver flees the scene of the accident without stopping to identify him or herself or render aid to any victims. In some states, hitting an animal and fleeing the scene also constitutes hit and run.

Drivers that did not cause the accident can still receive hit and run charges. If you do not hold a driver’s license and flee the scene of an accident you did not cause, you can still receive hit and run charges. If you leave to get medical treatment, you will not receive hit and run charges so long as you exercise your proper duty to identify yourself and your insurance company, or return to the scene.

What Should You Do After a Hit and Run Accident?

First, if you experience a car accident, stay at the scene unless directed to leave by law enforcement or medical personnel. Wait somewhere safe, and attempt to remove your vehicle from the roadway. If the other driver attempts to leave the scene, you will need to gather as much information as possible.

What if Police Find the Other Driver?

If police are able to locate the other driver, you may seek compensation for your injuries via the driver’s insurance company. However, drivers often choose to flee the scene of an accident because they do not carry insurance. If this is the case, you may not receive compensation except from your own insurance company.

Many companies offer uninsured motorist coverage, which means your insurance company will pay for your expenses in lieu of the other driver’s insurance. Other options include filing a claim with your health insurance company or a personal injury protection portion of your auto insurance. A car accident attorney is often a good first step, as he or she can outline your rights and suggest next steps.